Fame and Celebrity in Bloomington-Normal
We’ve all heard stories of Abraham Lincoln frequenting downtown Bloomington before his rise to fame (and before the original courthouse burned down), but would you believe that Bloomington-Normal has played host to quite a few celebrities and famous people over the years? Some, like award-winning author David Foster-Wallace, lived and worked in our community in their adult years, while others were born here. And some particularly important people have been laid to rest here as well.
Famous People from Bloomington and Normal
Perhaps the biggest ticket to fame from Bloomington-Normal comes from Illinois State University’s status as one of the better schools for drama and theatre; that reputation meant that a long list of actors spent quite some time in the twin cities, including:
- Gary Cole (Office Space, The West Wing, Veep)
- Sean Hayes (Will & Grace)
- Jane Lynch (Glee, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind)
- John Malkovich (Rounders, In the Line of Fire, Being John Malkovich)
- Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne)
- Gary Sinise (Forrest Gump, Apollo 13)
Of course, we don’t just train actors and send them off to Hollywood. Other denizens of Bloomington-Normal who have brought a bit of fame to our community include
- Clinton J. Davisson, winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1937 for helping to discover the wave nature of matter.
- Jon Bowermaster, a journalist, filmmaker, adventurer, and oceans expert.
- Pokey LaFarge, an American roots and blues musician (who returns for a concert every once in a while).
- Brock Stewart, the pitcher for the LA Dodgers, was born right here in Normal.
- Adlai E. Stevenson I and Adlai E. Stevenson II were both born here and had storied careers in national and state politics.
- John Wesley Powell was a soldier, geologist, explorer, and one-time professor at Illinois Wesleyan University, famous for leading the first government-sponsored passage through the Grand Canyon.
This is just a sampling of some of the folks who have made waves out in the world after spending some time in Bloomington-Normal. What bits of Blo-No trivia do you have? Did we miss your favorite Bloomington or Normal native? Let us know in the comments or chat us up about local trivia on your next test drive at Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington. When exploring Blo-No celebrity upbringings, visit the Normal Theater or take a break at one of our favorite restaurants!
More From Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington
If you’re shopping for a capable midsize truck, you’ll want to learn about the 2021 Toyota Tacoma towing capacity. When properly equipped, this rugged pickup can tow from 3,500 pounds to 6,800 pounds. That’s enough to haul all of the equipment and supplies you need on your Normal-area jobsite, as well as pull a…
If you are searching for a compact sedan that is comfortable to drive, fuel efficient, and affordably priced, the 2021 Toyota Corolla could be the perfect choice. There are six Corolla trim levels offered, each with many features designed to enhance your Normal-area commute. Find the Toyota Corolla configuration that will best suit your…
The 2021 Toyota RAV4 towing capacity of 3,500 pounds will serve you well. Learn more in this RAV4 towing guide from Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington, and then contact us to schedule a test drive today! 2021 Toyota RAV4 Towing Capacity and Payload Capacity The Toyota RAV4 towing capacity adds more versatility for your Morton job site or…