Fame and Celebrity in Bloomington-Normal
We’ve all heard stories of Abraham Lincoln frequenting downtown Bloomington before his rise to fame (and before the original courthouse burned down), but would you believe that Bloomington-Normal has played host to quite a few celebrities and famous people over the years? Some, like award-winning author David Foster-Wallace, lived and worked in our community in their adult years, while others were born here. And some particularly important people have been laid to rest here as well.
Famous People from Bloomington and Normal
Perhaps the biggest ticket to fame from Bloomington-Normal comes from Illinois State University’s status as one of the better schools for drama and theatre; that reputation meant that a long list of actors spent quite some time in the twin cities, including:
- Gary Cole (Office Space, The West Wing, Veep)
- Sean Hayes (Will & Grace)
- Jane Lynch (Glee, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind)
- John Malkovich (Rounders, In the Line of Fire, Being John Malkovich)
- Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne)
- Gary Sinise (Forrest Gump, Apollo 13)
Of course, we don’t just train actors and send them off to Hollywood. Other denizens of Bloomington-Normal who have brought a bit of fame to our community include
- Clinton J. Davisson, winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1937 for helping to discover the wave nature of matter.
- Jon Bowermaster, a journalist, filmmaker, adventurer, and oceans expert.
- Pokey LaFarge, an American roots and blues musician (who returns for a concert every once in a while).
- Brock Stewart, the pitcher for the LA Dodgers, was born right here in Normal.
- Adlai E. Stevenson I and Adlai E. Stevenson II were both born here and had storied careers in national and state politics.
- John Wesley Powell was a soldier, geologist, explorer, and one-time professor at Illinois Wesleyan University, famous for leading the first government-sponsored passage through the Grand Canyon.
This is just a sampling of some of the folks who have made waves out in the world after spending some time in Bloomington-Normal. What bits of Blo-No trivia do you have? Did we miss your favorite Bloomington or Normal native? Let us know in the comments or chat us up about local trivia on your next test drive at Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington. When exploring Blo-No celebrity upbringings, visit the Normal Theater or take a break at one of our favorite restaurants!
More From Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington
The 2019 Toyota Highlander interior features comfortable seating, lots of space for your cargo, and incredible technologies that keep you connected while on the roadways. A spacious SUV without feeling bulky, learn about the new Toyota Highlander interior colors, dimensions, and more with Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington! Highlander Inventory Contact Us Toyota Highlander Interior Seating & Space The new…
The Toyota Prius family is showing no signs of shrinking in size. In fact, there are currently three different Prius models available, including a plug-in hybrid. If you’re looking to cut costs on gas expenses, the Prius models are an excellent place to begin your search for an eco-friendly and fuel-efficient vehicle. Ready to start…
If you’re shopping for a full-size truck for sale near Normal, you may be wondering, “What is the towing capacity of a Toyota Tundra?” The answer depends on the trim selected, but the 2020 Toyota Tundra towing capacity is 8,800 to 10,200 pounds. Its payload capacity is 1,520 to 1,730 pounds. As you might expect,…