The Normal Theater: A Local Treasure
There are tons of fascinating historic sites in Bloomington-Normal, but the Normal Theater is one of our favorite spaces to explore. Sure, this theater always has something interesting on the marquee – ranging from vintage cinema to cult classics to brand-new documentaries. But this place is far from just a movie theater in Normal, IL. It’s also a community space that hosts local talent and live events to bring arts and culture to the Bloomington-Normal area.
Take a look at the past, present, and future of the Normal Theater and stop in for a show tonight!
Normal Theater History
The Normal Theater sets itself apart from the other Bloomington-Normal movie theaters for many reasons, but its deep roots in the area have made it a local legend:
- The doors opened back in 1937 and it was an instant hit with the community. The building showcases Art Deco and Art Moderne style by noted architect, Arthur F. Moratz.
- The Normal Theater became one of the most photographed locations in the area, and Publix Great States called it “A new thrill in theater beauty!”
- Not only was the theater known for its style, but its state-of-the-art features as it was enhanced with high-fidelity RCA sound technology – along with heating and cooling systems that were a welcome break from the harsh Illinois forecasts!
- The glittering marquee and the modern flair of the Normal Theater became signs of better things to come following the Great Depression, which made this resource far more than just a movie theater.
The Normal Theater Today
Though the theater went through tough times through the 1980s and 1990s, it was purchased by the town in 1991 and began its new life.
- As a tribute to the contributions of this community favorite, the Normal Theater was named a “local landmark” in 1991 by the Normal Town Council and Normal Historic Preservation Commission.
- The theater also began showing unique offerings that weren’t found anywhere else, like classic films and independent works. Special viewings, like sneak previews and Academy-Award nominated shorts, became regular occurrences.
- The Normal Theater even became a venue for local film festivals like the LGBT Film Festival, Manhattan Short Film Festival, and many others. Don’t be surprised if you run into a few Bloomington-Normal celebrities around the lobby!
Find Out More
Plan your visit to this iconic movie theater in Normal, IL, and why not visit some of the best restaurants in Bloomington while you’re in the area? If you need any more information about the area, feel free to contact the team at Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington today!
More From Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington
The 2022 Toyota RAV4 is here and ready to keep you comfortable and content during Normal adventures. It features a spacious interior cabin that’ll allow you and your passengers to stretch out on long drives. If you’re running errands around town, you can anticipate the cavernous cargo area to provide all the versatility you need….
Opting for the new Toyota Highlander means that you’ll get to enjoy a spacious and comfortable cabin that provides more than enough room for you and your family to get comfortable on the Normal roads. Inside the Toyota Highlander, you’ll even find all of the latest features and amenities to really maximize your travels….
The new Toyota Camry is here to turn heads and draw praise as you’re driving around Normal. Its exterior design is modern and sophisticated, making it stand out from anything else on the market. Inside, the 2022 Toyota Camry remains just as impressive, with a swooping dashboard and high-quality materials, the new Camry offers…