Is Your Transmission Slipping?
You’re driving around Normal, and you notice that your vehicle doesn’t feel quite right, what could be wrong? If you’re noticing that your transmission is acting strangely, it could be because your transmission is slipping. If you notice any transmission slipping signs, there’s no need to panic right away. However, you’ll definitely want to schedule a service appointment immediately.
But, what causes a transmission to slip? Your vehicle’s transmission is complicated, and there could be many reasons why it’s slipping. From low transmission fluid to worn-out transmission gears, you won’t know for sure why your transmission is slipping until you get it checked out by a professional. Learn more about your transmission today with the service experts from Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington!
Common Transmission Slipping Signs
Sometimes, it can be difficult to determine if it’s your transmission that’s slipping or if there’s anything else going on like sticky brake calipers. However, there are certainly some telltale signs you can look out for as you drive around Morton that’ll likely indicate you have a slipping transmission. Here are some common signs your transmission is slipping:
- Engine revs but doesn’t move
- Sluggish acceleration
- Transmission searches for gears
- Unusual burning smell
- Grinding/whining noise as you drive
- Jerky gear shifts
What Causes a Transmission To Slip?
If you’re finding that your transmission is slipping during your Springfield, you may be wondering, “What causes a transmission to slip?” There could be many reasons why you’re experiencing a slipping transmission, and you won’t know for sure until you visit a trusted service team. However, let’s take a look at some popular causes that could make your transmission slip:
- Low/Worn Out Transmission Fluid: Similar to your engine, your transmission has transmission fluid or oil that helps it stay lubricated and cooled. If you have a transmission fluid leak, or you’ve used your vehicle in extreme conditions, your transmission fluid could be running low or has been worn out, causing your transmission to slip.
- Faulty Solenoid: A transmission solenoid essentially controls the flow of fluid in your transmission. If the solenoid is failing or has become faulty, your transmission may not be receiving enough fluid and therefore starts to slip.
- Damaged Gears: Transmission fluid helps your transmission gears engage properly. If your transmission has been overworked or doesn’t have any fluid, the gears can become damaged, and you’ll notice transmission slippage.
- Broken Clutch: Automatic transmissions have a clutch, and it helps engage the transmission to receive power from the engine. However, if you push your transmission to its limits too often without proper maintenance, you could experience a broken clutch, which may cause your transmission to slip.
We Can Help You Identify Transmission Slipping Signs at Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington!
There could be many other issues causing you to experience transmission slipping issues on your Bloomington drives. However, with the help of our service team, we can assist you in identifying why your transmission is slipping. Before you know it, our service experts will get you back on the road in no time. Reach out to us today if you have any questions or concerns!
More from Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington
Are you ready to enhance your Normal lifestyle with the 2023 Toyota Camry? Visit Sam Leman Toyota Bloomington and find the trim level that best fits you! There are a total of 13 different configurations available, so we’re confident that you’ll find one you love. You’ll also have hybrid options to select from if you’d like to have…
2022 Model Shown The new Toyota 4Runner with its option for 3rd-row seating is perfect for growing Bloomington families. But just wait until you see its impressive interior. The expertly-chosen interior colors, the generous interior dimensions, the cargo space, and the cutting-edge 2023 Toyota 4Runner interior features all combine to make one impressive vehicle. Let’s…
The 2023 Toyota 4Runner is characteristic of the brand – an off-road icon with the classic Toyota design. This model year even brings a Special Edition 40th Anniversary model with tri-color striped exterior graphics and bronze-colored accents, and detailed interior stitching. Wherever you’re headed beyond the roads of Normal and Morton, you can feel powerful…